Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bayan Peterson




You might not have heard of Canadian fashion model Bayan Peterson, but with the amount of projects in print, digital and television appearances she’s been involved in, you’ve most likely have seen her. She has worked for companies like TAG EFFIGI for their giant in store banners and catalogue, Vie Magazine, Nueva, Parasuco, Beyond the Rack, and Kohls Department Store in the U.S. as well as countless fashion shows on both sides of the border.
Born in Quebec, the beautiful intellectual has lived all over Canada and overseas learning five languages in the process. She comes from a multi-ethnic background. Her mother is Persian and her father is Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and French.
Bayans first passion would have to be horseback riding. She began horseback riding at a very young age and still does at her home near Toronto. Before her venture into modeling, Bayan planned on going into teaching; tutoring for a few years in remedial learning for dyslexia. Although she enjoyed the experience, she didn’t feel that was her true calling. It was during that time when the modeling and fashion world called and she began her career as a well sought after model.

Q. How and when did you get involved with modeling? What attracted you most to the profession?

Ever since I was about thirteen, I started getting scouted by agencies in random places - on the street, in the mall etc. But having moved around so much, and being so involved with settling into new environments, learning new languages, making new friends, that I never really felt like I had the time to put into it. But in 2009, I was vacationing in the Dominican when a photographer who was also there on vacation came up to me and told me I looked like a model and asked if I would like to do a shoot, just for fun. I agreed, and got a lot of great pictures, but I just thought that would be the end of it – just really nice vacation pictures. But, when I got back home, Toronto-based fashion photographer John Sayer White saw a few of the pictures that I had posted and sent me a message saying that I absolutely HAD to go and see his good friend Chantale Nadeau. Turns out, going to see her was one of the best decisions of my life. Chantale Nadeau is an absolutely incredible woman who runs an international model placement agency out of Toronto. She helps new models build a portfolio and get placed with an agency as well as continuing to support and guide them along their careers. Twenty-four hours after meeting Chantale, I was signing with Sutherland Models Toronto – who I am still am very happily with. And a couple months later, I signed with Folio Montreal and now I model full-time in Toronto and Montreal.

Q. What type of modeling is most interesting for you and why?

I fit into a weird middle ground between commercial and editorial modeling, making my work a lot more interesting since I am able to work in both categories. One day I’m shooting high fashion clothing for a magazine, the next day its bras for a catalogue, then adds for a store, an upcoming look book, or maybe something filmed instead – a TV commercial or event, or doing runway for Fashion Week… its always different, always changing, and there are always new looks to see, new trends, new ideas. So really what I love most about modeling is the variety of work I get to do.

Q. What personality traits do you think one should have to become a good model?

Perseverance and positivity. The harsh truth is that in this industry you are going to get rejected a lot. No matter how good you are, or how beautiful you are, you are not going to book every job you cast for, simply because each client is looking for some particular look that resonated with their material, and if you are not that look, you won’t get the job. The trick is not to take it personally or let it get you down. Keep a positive attitude and keep trying. Positivity lets you remain cheerful and professional on set, even in crazy environments and long hours. Not only does this show up in your pictures, but it also makes you more fun to work with. The key to a great shoot is a happy, positive team that works well together, and as a model, you are the focus.
Kohl's Commercial featuring Bayan 2010

KOHL'S - "EXPECTATIONS" from landis on Vimeo.


Q. You convey an elevated level of confidence in your work. Do you consider yourself a performer at heart?

First of all thank you, that’s very kind of you to say. My whole life I have always chosen a few things that were very important to me and thrown myself into them extremely passionately – kind of a ‘go all the way or not at all’ attitude. The funny thing is that I never really used to consider myself a performer – I always hated drama in school, I wasn’t a singer or a dancer or a cheerleader or anything like that, and neither was I ever interested in competitive sports. I wasn’t shy, if anything I was the opposite, I was very expressive and outgoing but in non-performance ways. So, coming into this industry with no background, I really had to open a whole new door for myself and learn how to let go and move and be free. It’s been quite an exhilarating and liberating experience and has really helped me discover a whole new side to myself. Ultimately, I would say that I consider myself to be more of an artist than a performer. A performer impersonated a character and carries that through a narrative. A model, like a painter, has a scene or a series of scenes that they bring to life by arranging a collection of artistic elements to create a perfect moment frozen in time.

Q. Who would you say have been the most influential people in your life? In what way?

I would say that my parents have been extremely influential in my personal life. They are both strong in their beliefs, and the most kind and honestly people you will ever meet. Having role models like that is invaluable. As a teacher, I got to see how important it is to do all the right things when raising a child and I guess I really appreciate everything they did for me. Not to sound cliché, but I really wouldn’t be who I am without them.
Professionally, I have been extremely lucky to work with so many talented, supportive, and amazing people. It’s so hard to single someone out, but if I had to, it would have to be Chantale Nadeau. She got me started, has supported me along the way and continues to show me how to be a better model all the time. Her energy, passion, and knowledge of the industry make her truly incomparable.

Q. What would you say was the biggest mistake of your modeling career? What did you learn from that experience that you'll always carry with you that others might learn from?

Having Chantale Nadeau as my mother agent has been a blessing in my career in more ways than I can count. Whenever I have anything that I am unsure of, I talk to her and she helps navigate through whatever the problem is. I’d say that it’s because of her and my wonderful agents at Sutherland and Folio that I don’t really have an answer to this question.

Q. What advice can you offer aspiring models about realizing their dreams, and balancing work and life?

Staying grounded will help both in realizing your dreams and in balancing your life. Remember that you are a person and you are lucky to have a job like this. Don’t let it go to your head, don’t be a diva, and always treat everyone respectfully and professionally. Listen to the advice of other but always have confidence in yourself.
I find this job to be, in many ways, the best and the hardest job to balance with a personal life. It’s the best in the sense of not having to work a 9-5 job, every day doing the same thing. Call times are random and often not full day, so you get a lot of half days of work. However, the hard part is that you don’t have a schedule and for the most part, you don’t get your schedule until the night before so planning things in advance is hard unless you book out. I think the trick is good communication with your agency – tell them the times that you want to try and be able to be free but have them still call you if a big job comes your way. A good agent will be your guide. You should to be able to trust them, to feel good about talking openly with them and to know that they have your back.

Q. What's next for you?

I’m currently in the latest edition of Suhaag magazine out in Chapters. I recently shot for Book For Men by Sharp magazine. I have also shot the Fall/Winter 2011 Nueva campaign with Leda and St. Jacques in Montreal for the second time. I have some spring videos and ads for Winners coming out in March as well as catalogues for Wal-Mart, Sears and Zellers, a few TV spots coming out for Italian lingerie and Fall Wear and of course the Toronto Fashion Week is coming up soon.
Thank you Bayan for taking the time to speak with me.

Bayan is represented by Sutherland Models Toronto and Folio Montreal.

Managed by Chantale Nadeau.

No comments:

Post a Comment